CAT CARE TIPS FOR MULTI-CAT FAMILIES
- Please have your cats neutered especially if you will have male and female cats in the same household. Plus if you don’t have them fixed, you will need to deal with the females going into heat and the males spraying. Neither of these is fun.
- A long haired cat will require brushing to help keep shedding to a minimum. Even short haired cats can be brushed to help prevent shedding. This is especially important when you have more than one cat. Make sure that you sweep or vacuum regularly to control cat hair.
- Choose a quality cat food for your cat. Speak to your vet about your cat’s specific dietary needs. It’s not unusual to need to feed different cats different foods. It can be challenging to keep them out of what they shouldn’t be eating.
- Take your cat to the vet’s office for their regularly scheduled shots and exams. Please don’t skimp on this area of cat care. It’s so important to make sure your cats are healthy.
- Use scoopable cat litter. With a scoopable litter, it is much easier to remove waste from the litter box. That helps your litter box stay fresh longer and that’s really important in a multi-cat family.
- Use a low dust cat litter to prevent tracking. The more dust and litter that gets tracked throughout the house, the more often you will need to sweep. Hardwood floors are much easier to keep clean than carpets with multiple cats.
- Allow each cat to have alone time with you. Cats need individual, one on one time with their owners. Allow them to have special time with you each day.