This simple but exotic comfort food recipe merges the rich flavors of Cuban cooking with the convenience of a crock pot.
- 2 lb beef chuck roast
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 poblano pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium white onion (one half thinly sliced, and the other half chopped)
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T cumin
- 1 T oregano
- 1 T garlic
- 1 T smoked paprika
- ½ cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once olive oil is shimmering hot, sear chuck roast for 2 minutes on each side.
- Place chuck roast (with oil and drippings from pan) in crock-pot. Add poblano pepper and sliced onion. Pour in beef broth and tomato paste. Add cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, and garlic. Stir ingredients. Place lid on crock-pot, and heat on low 6-8 hours.
- Once beef is fork-tender, shred on a large plate, using two forks. Return to crock-pot for 30 minutes.
- Serve over cauliflower rice with chopped onion, cilantro, and a lime wedge. Pan-fried plantain slices would also compliment this Cuban dish.